To open the Research pane, do one of the following:
- Press Alt+Click the left mouse key in the selected word, phrase, or name.
- In different Microsoft Office applications:
- In Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint or Microsoft Office Outlook, on the Review tab, in the Proofing group, click Research:
Note: In Microsoft Office Outlook, the Research task pane is available from any open Outlook item, but not from the main Outlook window.
- In the standard Microsoft Office Word document there are no Research button in the standard ribbon, but you can add it in your own menu or Quick Access Toolbar.
- In the Microsoft Office Word Blog Post, on the BLOG POST tab, in the Proofing group, in the Spelling list, choose Research...:
With Research pane you can:
- find synonyms (a word that means essentially the same thing as the word it replaces) and antonyms (a word that means the opposite of the selected word),
- while Word's thesaurus primarily finds synonyms;
- search words in public dictionaries (e.g., Encarta World Dictionary);
- translate words and texts.