The biggest complaint I have heard about Windows 8 is that the Start button and Start menu are gone. No doubt this was a radical change in the way users interact with Windows. Being a Windows logo key fanatic since its introduction in Windows 95, I found the new Start screen to be less of a headache than most. But I still missed the Start button. The folks over at Stardock have recently released a great program called Start8 that brings both of them back and more.
Windows 7 style Start menu in Windows 8 using Start8
Start8 is, in my book, the ultimate Start button replacement for Windows 8. Now before I go on, let's see if we can make some sense about all of the Start items. The Start button is located by default on the left hand side of the Taskbar and has the Windows logo on it (Windows 95 - Windows 7). The Start menu appears when you left-click on the Start button (Windows 95 - Windows 7). The Start screen is the Windows RT (Metro) interface used in Tablets and Smartphones (Windows 8).
Windows 8 style start menu in Windows 8 using Start8
With Start8, you can get back the Start button and Start menuwith a choice of what style you would like to use (Windows 7 or Windows 8). The Windows 7 style looks and feels just like the original. The Windows 8 style is kind of a hybrid, with the Start screen appearing in-place of the Start menu. Both are highly configurable and can use custom images for the Start button.
Here's a breakdown of the styles and included features:
Windows 7 style
- Choice of themes (Windows 7 rounded edges, Windows 8 squared edges, black selection edges)
- Use large icons
- Show recently used apps
- Open submenus when you pause over them with your cursor
- Highlight new installed apps
- Show user picture
- Choice of which shortcuts to display on the right hand side of the menu
- Add additional shortcuts to the right hand side of menu
Windows 8 style
- Choice of four different sizes or full screen
- Display Start menu full screen with the Taskbar still visible
- Choice of what the Start button and Windows logo key do
- Can default to the applications view
Start8 is produced by Stardock, makers of ModernMix and Decor8. Here's a quote from the Stardock website:
What is Start8?
Microsoft Windows® 8 is shipped without the "Start" menu. Stardock heard the cries from Windows 8 users. We put the "Start" menu back in Windows 8. We accurately recreated the most used desktop feature billions of users depend on every day and packed it with additional functionality.
- Windows 7-style Start menu with Windows 8 enhancements
- Search for Windows 8-style (Modern UI) apps
- Pin desktop and Metro apps to the start menu
- Jump List support
- Unified Search for apps, settings and files
- Boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop
- One click access to shut down, devices, music, documents, and videos
- Configurable Start menu size
- Windows 8 Start screen accessible from the Start menu
- Clean, streamlined UI enhances Start8's usability
- Optionally disable the desktop Windows 8 "hot spots"
- Supports WindowFX 5.1 start menu animations
- Includes .ADMX template (in Group Policy folder)
Start8 is only $4.99 and in my opinion, worth every penny. For more information on Start8 or Stardock, just follow the links below: