Windows Vista can sometimes cause network adapters to show up as connected to an "Unidentified Network", sometimes limiting the network to local access only.
There are many reasons that can cause this problem, but some suggested solutions to try are:
- Reset your Router using the web control panel.
- Update your network adapter drivers.
- Temporary disable any Anti-Virus/Firewall package to see if the problem is resolved.
- Try assigning a static IP address to the network card.
- Disable IPv6 on old network cards / routers.
These suggestions may help you narrow down the cause of the "unidentified network" problem.