There has been a lot of interest in the Windows Dreamscene Ultimate Extra, previously known as motion desktop, that allows you to use video files as your desktop wallpaper. This extra that started out as a rumor and finally into a product adds a great deal of "wow" to your desktop.
Earlier this year at CES 2007 when Bill Gates introduced this feature in the keynote I witnessed something that rarely happens to Microsoft. Right after the presenter turned on Windows Dreamscene and the static picture of a waterfall turned into a moving flowing waterfall the crowd responded with a level of excitement and applause that was greater than I ever heard at a Microsoft keynote. The attendees were truly excited and impressed with this little Vista add-on. To see a quick demo of Windows Dreamscene, check out my CES Dreamscene article here.
Windows Dreamscene has been released and users of Windows Vista Ultimate edition can begin to customize their desktops with this great Ultimate Extra. Follow the steps below to get Windows Dreamscene installed on your computer. Before you continue, make sure that you have Windows Vista Ultimate edition. Windows Dreamscene can not be downloaded and installed on any other version.
- Click on the Start Menu and type in Windows Update and hit Enter.
- Once Windows Update loads, click Check for Updates.
- Under the Ultimate Extras section, check the Windows Dreamscene option and hit Install.
- After Windows Dreamscene is installed you may need to reboot.
- After a reboot, right click on your desktop and select Personalize.
- Next, click Desktop Wallpaper.
- Browse and select the video file you want to use and hit OK.
Your selected video file will now be displayed as your wallpaper.
Extra Windows Dreamscene Content Videos
After a short while you may become bored of the stock videos that come with Windows Dreamscene. Below are some sites that I use to download additional videos that I use as my Dreamscene wallpaper. Some of these sites offer free downloads while others are not. If you find a video you like keep in mind that you can always edit it to shorten it in Windows Movie Maker.
- Feedback Video $
- Microsoft HD Content Showcase
- AeroXperience Forum
- CES Waterfall Demo (you must convert it to a mpg)
- WinMatrix 2